Last Sunday Alan gave a powerful and practical sermon at Grace Church Orlando titled Evangelism Overhaul: Practical Grace. You can listen to the sermon through the player instance at the end of this page. Here are the notes for his sermon if you would like to follow along.
Evangelism Overhaul – Practical Grace by Alan Chambers
A. Repent of our own immorality and recommit to holiness.
1. Samson Story
B. Repent of Hostility and Recommit to Bold Love
1. Jonah Syndrome
2. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another (John 13:35)
John 13:35 (NASB) – 35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.
1. Anger vs. Hostility
A. Evaluate Your Attitude
1. Top 10 Sins
2. Position AND Disposition
B. Develop a Relationship (whenever possible)
1. Drive by Advice
2. Jeff & Yvette
C. Be Vulnerable
D. Be Gracious
1. It’s His Kindness (Romans 2:4)
Romans 2:4 (NASB) – 4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?
E. Be Defined by What You are For (not what you are against.)
F. Know Your Audience
1. Militant – Defend without Attacking
2. Moderate – Ambassadors of Christ
3. Repentant – Brothers & Sisters Walking Beside not Judges Standing Over
G. Remember Your Role & the Goal
1. You’re not the Holy Spirit
2. WWJD? Vs. WWJHMD? (What Would Jesus Have Me do?)
3. JUST SHOW UP!
NOTE: Alan Chambers uses the New American Standard translation for all scripture references. Portions of the content of this workshop can be found in his books, God’s Grace & the Homosexual Next Door (Harvest House, 2006), Leaving Homosexuality (Harvest House, 2009) as well as How Should We Respond by Joe Dallas (Love Won Out Series, 1998).